Kadai Paneer is perhaps the best full-blown paneer dish made – in my humble opinion 🙂 This classic results from an apt combination of paneer (cottage cheese), bell pepper (capsicum), onion, tomato and some of our great Indian spices. This whole dish is prepared in a Kadai/Kadhai (Indian wok) and so the name Kadai Paneer (but I have made in a pan ;P ). It is a simple recipe but with amazing taste, and one which is generally available in almost all Indian restaurants. I believe my use of freshly grounded spices has made a huge difference as I have got the same flavour as that of a Kadai Paneer from a top-end restaurant.
I made this for dinner last night and it was a super-hit in my home. So guys, let’s cook this restaurant style Kadai Paneer at home today 😉
The ingredients for making Kadai Paneer are :
For Dry Roast Spices :
- Coriander seeds : 1 Tbsp
- Dried Red Chilli : 4
For Gravy :
- Paneer (Cottage Cheese) : 200 gram (cut into cubes)
- Onion : 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomato : 4 (finely chopped)
- Green Pepper (Capsicum) : 1 (chopped)
- Garlic : 6 (finely chopped)
- Red Chilli Powder : 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala : 1 tsp
- Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi) : 2 tsp
- Salt : to taste
- Yogurt : 1 Tbsp
- Milk : 2 Tbsp
- Water : 1 cup
- Oil : 1 Tbsp
Heat a pan, and dry roast the coriander seeds and red chillies; remove it onto a plate and allow the mix to cool down. Now grind them into a powder.
Heat oil in a wok/pan, and add onion; sauté till it becomes translucent. Next add garlic and cook for further 1-2 minutes. Then add the grounded spices (coriander seeds and red chillies) and cook for a minute.
Then add tomatoes, salt, red chilli powder and cook till all the tomatoes get mushy/cooked and the moisture is evaporated.
Now add garam masala, kasuri methi (dried Fenugreek leaves) and cook till the oil starts to leave from the sides. Add green pepper and some water and cook for further 4-5 minutes or till the pepper softens.
Now add paneer cubes and mix gently. Then add milk-yogurt mixture and let the gravy boil. Switch off the flame.
Insider Tips / Finer Points :
- You may adjust the spices according to your taste buds.
- You may use cream instead of the yogurt-milk mixture; paneer could also be replaced with Tofu.
- You may garnish the Kadai Paneer with fresh coriander leaves.