Yes, it’s breakfast time once again 😉 and today’s healthy start of the day is Yogurt (Dahi in Hindi) Sandwich. I am sure all of us would have had sandwiches of some shape/form. I am also certain that all my fellow kitchen cooks would have surely done experiments on the basic sandwich as per taste/requirement. Keeping alive the streak of innovation, I am today presenting a light, healthy and refreshing sandwich involving Yogurt. Needless to say, the inclusion of some of my favourite vegetables and yogurt makes this a real good start to a lovely day (Amen!). It is also a real quickie in terms of its preparation, thus making it ideal for breakfast/snack.
Yogurt is consumed all over the world and I do not think I need to write down how good it is for our bodies. But the writer in me will not be happy if I just skip this 🙂 so here are couple of points on why all of us should eat Yogurt – Yogurt is low in saturated fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium and Zinc, and a very good source of Riboflavin, Calcium and Phosphorus. Our body needs to have a healthy amount of ”good” bacteria in the digestive tract, and many yogurts are made using active, good bacteria.
The ingredients for making my Yogurt Sandwich are :
- Bread : 8 slices (I have used brown bread)
- Yogurt (thick) : 1 cup
- Green Pepper : 2 Tbsp (finely chopped)
- Red Pepper : 2 Tbsp (finely chopped)
- Onion : 3 Tbsp (finely chopped)
- Coriander Leaves : 2 Tbsp (finely chopped)
- Cucumber Chutney : 1 Tbsp
- Cumin Powder (jeera powder) : 1/4 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder : to taste
- Salt : to taste
- Mustard seeds (rye) : as needed
- Clarified butter (ghee) : as needed
Take a big bowl and add yogurt, green pepper, red pepper, onion, coriander leaves, cucumber chutney, cumin powder, black pepper powder, and salt. Mix them well.
Heat a skillet (tawa), put some clarified butter (ghee) on it and then add some mustard seeds to it. Put a slice of bread on the skillet when the mustard seeds start crackling.
Put the yogurt mixture generously on the bread, and toast the bread till it becomes golden brown in colour. Then cover the yogurt mixture with another slice of bread, apply some clarified butter and flip it over.
Toast the other bread till it also becomes golden brown in colour. Then remove the sandwich from the skillet. Cut diagonally and serve the yogurt sandwich hot and crispy.
Feel free to enjoy this warm, crispy and healthy sandwich on its own or with ketchup/choice of chutney.
Insider Tips :
- Feel free to add your choice of vegetables to the sandwich – carrot, green chilli, cabbage etc.
- You may add cucumber (finely chopped) instead of cucumber chutney.
- You may adjust spices according to your taste buds.