Potato is the quintessential vegetable in an Indian household. I personally don’t happen to like potato very much, and this curry came out because I didn’t had any other vegetables yesterday – as a result, I experimented with the potatoes and this spicy n tangy potato curry happened !! You can say it Achari Aloo.
I have used tomato, onion, and couple of different spices in it so as to get a totally different taste from the usual potato curry – I am sure you guys will try and, love it!
The ingredients for Spicy n tangy potato curry are :
1. Potato : 5 (Boiled and Peeled)
2. Onion : 1 ( chopped)
3. Tomato : 4 (finely chopped)
4. Green Chilli : 3 (cut length-wise)
5. Garlic : 4 cloves
6. Ginger : 1/2 tsp
7. Red Chilli Powder : 1 tsp
8. Turmeric Powder : 1 tsp
9. Lemon juice : 1 Tbsp
10. Jaggery : 2″ (optional)
11. Water : 2 cup
12. Oil : 2-3 Tbsp
13. Coriander leaves for Garnishing
The ingredients for the spicy mixture are :
1. Fennel seeds (Saunf) : 1 Tbsp
2. Cumin seeds : 1 Tbsp
3. Mustard seeds (Rye) : 1 Tbsp
4. Onion seeds/ Nigella seeds (Kalonji) : 1 Tbsp
5. Fenugreek seeds (Dana methi) : 1/2 Tbsp
For making the spice mix :
Heat a pan, and add all the spices of the spice mixture; dry roast on medium low flame till the cumin turns slightly brown in colour ( it will take approximately 4-5 min). Take out this spice mixture and make a coarse mixture in pestle mortar or place this mixture on the platform and move a rolling pin over it. Your spice mix is ready !
For making the Gravy :
Heat oil in the pan. Add green chillies and onion and, sauté for 2 min. Then add ginger and garlic. Sauté it till onions turn golden brown and oil starts to leave on the sides.
Add the spice mix and sauté it again for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook covered (with lid) for 5 minutes. Remove the lid, and check the tomatoes; all tomatoes should have been done, like a paste.
Now add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder; sauté for couple of minutes and, then add lemon juice and jaggery. Now add water according to the desired consistency of gravy. Mix it well. Add boiled potatoes and simmer for couple of minutes.
Your tangy and spicy Achari aloo are ready!
Serve it with chapatti / naan / puri / rice and enjoy!
Insider Tips / Finer Points :
* Feel free to skip onion and garlic if you want; it will taste equally delicious.
* You may make it either dry or with liquid; just add water according to your choice/requirement.