Kadhi is a yogurt gravy with a little bit of chickpea flour, tempered with some spices. There are different versions of kadhi in each and every state of India – Gujarati kadhi, Punjabi kadhi, Rajasthani kadhi etc.
Gujarati kadhi is spicy but has with a mild sweetness. The use of sugar/ jaggery makes this Gujarati kadhi different from other kadhis. We really love this comforting kadhi !
This post of mine covers one of my killer combinations – Gujarati kadhi with Laccha parantha; trust me it is a very simple but a killer..try it !!
The ingredients for Gujarati Kadhi are:
- Yogurt : 1 cup
- Chickpea flour (Gramflour/Besan) : 1/4 cup
- Oil / Ghee (Clarified butter) : 1 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds : 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds (Rye) : 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (Dana methi) : 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves : 6-7
- Asafoetida : a pinch
- Green Chilli : 2 (chopped)
- Ginger : 1/4 tsp (grated)
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Sugar/Jaggery : 1/2 tsp
- Fresh Coriander leaves : 1 Tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Water : 3 cup
Take yogurt in a bowl and add chickpea flour; mix them properly so that there are no lumps. Then add water and mix well.
Heat oil/ghee in a pan and temper with cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida, turmeric powder, green chilli and ginger. Sauté for a min and then add the yogurt- chickpea mixture into it. Keep the flame on high and stir continuously till it boils.
When the mixture boils then add salt, sugar, red chilli powder and coriander leaves. Keep the flame low and cook it for 15 min; stir occasionally in between. Now the spicy and condimental Gujarati kadhi is ready !
Enjoy this amazing kadhi with Laccha-parantha like I did or you can serve this kadhi with chapati, parantha or rice.
Insider Tips / Finer Points :
* To prevent yogurt from separating when heated, don’t forget to stir continuously until mixture boils.
* You can add more water for your desired consistency of kadhi.